My name is Dana and I am 12 years old. I just got back from Washington, D.C. where I met with Senators to tell them my story about how I almost died because I ate cantaloupe that had Salmonella Poona. Everyone I met with couldn't believe that cantaloupe made me that sick but it did and I still have lots of joint pain because it got into my blood stream and caused blood poisoning. It was really scary to almost die yet in Washington I met with other kids who also got sick from eating foods so I felt that I was not alone. When I met with the Senators and other people who can help support S.510 so people don't get sick from eating foods, they made me feel better because they listened to my story and want to help change the law. I hope to go back to Washington, D.C. soon to see my friends but more important to know that a new law is passed so people don't get sick anymore from eating foods. My sister is 3 years old, the age I was when I got sick. I don't ever want anything to happened to my sister so I need the help of the Senators in Washington, D.C. to make sure my sister and every bodies sisters and brothers don't get sick and almost die like I did.I know Dana's bravery and willingness to make a difference made an impact on everyone she met. If you would also like to help make an impact, click here to send a message to your Senators urging them to bring S.510 to the floor for a vote. In the meantime, you can help keep your family safe by signing up for S.T.O.P. E-alerts which deliver timely information about food safety and recalls right to your email inbox.
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Meet Dana, our 12 year old food safety advocate
Two weeks ago I was joined in Washington D.C. by 40 victim members of S.T.O.P. and our partners from the Make Our Food Safe campaign to lobby for S.510 - The Food Safety Modernization Act. One of those members was Dana. I asked Dana to share her experience of her trip, what she did and how she felt. Here is Dana's account of her trip to Washington and why she feels so strongly about food safety: